Lemon and Chilli Tempura Prawns

After having seafood linguini along the Italian coast this August, Ive been dying to perfect a seafood snack of my own. Routing around in the cupboard proves that I did not have enough for a big fancy three course meal, but somehow I managed to whip up this... Prawn Tempura, the batter uses only 5 ingredients and is probably one of the most addictive dishes I've ever made. Here's my recipe, after a few attempts, I think I've finally mastered my own lemon and chilli tempura prawns!
450g Peeled Prawns
70g Plain Flour
60ml Cold Water
1 Egg
Juice of Half a Lemon
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
  1. Whisk ingredients together in a medium bowl until the batter is smooth. The key to a light crispy batter is to keep the batter cold, so use ice cold water or refrigerate for 30 minutes before frying. 
  2. Now's the bit I got wrong for the first attempt. Pour enough frying oil into the pan to fill 1 inch of the bottom and use the highest possible heat, waiting for a rolling boil. I didn't wait for the oil to heat up enough before dunking my first prawn, and it ended up a soggy mess! 
  3. Dip each prawn in your batter and use a large slatted serving spoon to lower them into the water. Each prawn should take up to a minute to fry, and will be golden brown when done. Be very careful as the pan is likely to spit. Retrieve the cooked prawns and place on a sheet of kitchen towel to absorb any left over oil. 

I served mine with a bed of avocados, and drizzled with a sweet chilli sauce, although on their own or with a little soy sauce could also work great. 

What did you think of this dish? Tried any other flavour combinations that go well with prawns? Leave your tips or suggestions below!


Want to stay in the loop? Follow me on...
Bloglovin'
Pinterest
Twitter

0 comments:

Post a Comment