How to make the perfect christmas hot chocolate


With winter sweeping across the UK, this month has seemed like the perfect excuse to crawl back to bed and hibernate for a while. I think the reason I love the winter weather so much is because it's a reason to not go out. Thick duvets and microwave pizzas? Yes please. Trying to be a bit proactive, I've been playing around with a few hot chocolate recipes, and have made what is probably the best homemade hot chocolate recipe ever, using real chocolate. 

To quote Buzzfeed "The secret is to use really great chocolate, and not much else."

 

The hot chocolate

I tried a few chocolates. The last few magic stars in the packet, dairy milk, even expensive dark rich chocolate. Nothing was really doing it. It was either too weak, too bland or too strong. Feeling a little goldielocked, I went for the co-op's fairtrade milk chocolate with toffee and red salt. Absolutely nailed it. Not sure if its the kick of the salt or the creamy toffee-ness, but this chocolate seems to work perfectly for me. 

Once you've found your favourite bar, you'll need to melt 50g of chocolate and half a cup of milk over a low heat. (Will make one serving.)
I added a few dashes of cinnamon to add to the christmas-y vibe, and if cinnamon is your thing, you have to try this. Gives a really warm spicy kick that screams noel. 











 Marshmallows

In my opinion, its not a hot chocolate without marshmallows! I used five marshmallows, and heated them in the microwave for 10 seconds to get them all goo-ey and warm. Mmm!


Toppings

If you're like me, and you like to be spoiled, you'll already have a cupboard filled with sprinkles and glitter and pretty things. I used edible glitter, cocoa powder and a delicious flake to top mine off.











Is this not the most beautiful drink you've ever seen? The layer of toffee from the chocolate, the foamy marshmallow, or the beautiful christmas sprinkles, but.... my god.

Any one else had a really awesome hot chocolate recently? Let me know in the comments!






Want to stay in the loop? Follow me on...
Bloglovin'
Pinterest
Twitter

Follow

3 comments:

  1. This looks incredibly delicious, and I just can't wait to try it out. <3
    On another note, it's so great to have you back! I've missed your posts lately.
    ~ Sanjana
    peridotcove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hot chocolate is the best I've ever seen!! I want to make it now so bad X
    -Alice
    alicejlorna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, this looks amazing!! I love the finishing touches you put on top, I'm so excited for this time of year coming around again! Your photos are so beautiful too! :D xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara | (lets follow each other on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete